Thursday 7 July 2011

Shared reading aloud...

It's been three months since I retired from the civil service and gave myself permission to follow my heart and passion for introducing people to the fun of shared reading aloud. In that time, I have run taster sessions for the staff at two voluntary organisations with whom I have a connection and they have gone down really well.

The principle is essentially quite simple. Reading a piece of classic literature or poetry aloud among a group of attentive listeners and contributors is a positive force for enhancing personal wellbeing. The groups provide space in people's busy lives to discuss their responses to the words and the stories they hear and to share their feelings in a supportive environment.

Dipping into the classics of literature and poetry, with the support of a 'reading aloud' group, opens up a world of human experience for people to share.

If you'd like to find out more about the approach, or would be interested in helping to lead a group, you can contact me at john@jmcollaboration.co.uk or at reading@snvb.org.uk.

John Marshall

No comments:

Post a Comment